Spondylosis Treatment in Hyderabad
Spondylosis of spine ( Cervical or Lumbar ) is an age-related condition of the spinal column and discs. Spondylosis is often associated with back pain.As these age related changes in the spine are inevitable , it is difficult to say that the wear and tear of bone and ligaments in the spine are the sole cause of disability.
Cervical Spondylosis is also known as cervical osteoarthritis. As age progresses, the spinal discs will get dehydrated and narrowed. When vertebral bones try to stabilize themselves there may be a chance of overgrowth of bone along the edges , which leads to bone spurs.
This spondylosis can sometimes be associated with spinal instability, Cervical spondylotic myelopathy, Lumbar canal stenosis .Surgery aims at decompressing the spinal cord and removal of bony spurs and hypertrophied ligamentum flavum. bone spurs, and partial vertebrae. he spondylosis surgery helps in relieving the pain, numbness and stiffness caused by damaged spinal disks. This surgery also prevents permanent injury by eliminating nerves compression in the spinal cord area.
Is spinal discomfort disturbing your day to day activities?
Book your appointment now with Dr Surya Prakash Rao to get the best spine treatment in Hyderabad!!
The objective of Spondylosis Treatment:
The main aim of spondylosis treatment is to
- Get relief from back pain
- Returning to usual activities quickly
- Preventing permanent damage to the spinal cord
- Diminishing the nerve damage
Benefits of Spondylosis Treatment:
- A substantial decrease in the back pain
- Improves the coordination
- Eliminates the muscle spasms
- Diminishes the numbness caused by the nerve decompression
- Eliminates the walking difficulties
- Improves the bladder functionality
Diagnosis of Spondylosis:
For any spinal problems, the diagnosis starts with a physical exam to determine the movement of the neck, walking difficulties, muscle spasm. To diagnose bone deficits, the surgeon may prescribe for some imaging tests.
- X-ray: Which helps in determining the abnormalities of bones and spine disks and also helps in finding the tumours, fractures, stiffness etc.
- MRI: Which helps in finding nerve decompression areas
- CT scan:Which helps in determining the herniated disk, low bone density, bone fractures.
- Nerve function test:Which includes Electromyography which measures the electrical activity in the underlying nerves.
Does Spondylosis always need Surgery ?
Spondylosis always initially is treated with physiotherapy, Exercises and Activity modification.
These methods are usually successful and many patients do not need surgical intervention. These spondylotic changes create complications like instability or stenosis for which surgery is sometimes indicated.
Different types of treatments for Spondylosis:
Treatment for cervical and lumbar spondylosis problems mainly aims to relieve pain and eliminate the risk of permanent damage. There are various ways of treating Spondylosis which includes
Physical therapy:This helps to stretch muscles in the neck and shoulder areas to relieve pain and makes them durable.
Medications: If the pain is severe and persistent then the surgeon may prescribe for some medication such as
- Narcotics like hydrocodone to relieve pain
- Muscle relaxants like fexmid to reduce muscle spasms
- Medication like gabapentin to reduces pain caused nerve decompression
- Steroid medications or injection to reduce tissue inflammation
- Topical creams
Surgery: If your condition is not responding to the medication, then the spine surgeon may prefer for surgery. The surgery involves deompressing the spine and relieving the symptoms of the patient.
Type of Spondylosis Surgery:
- A laminectomy removes the bone spurs in the spinal cord area to decrease the compression on the underlying nerves of the spine.
- Discectomy process of removing the partial intervertebral disc that pinches the underlying nerves.
- Osteophyte process of removing the excess bone growth such as bone spurs which cause nerve decompression.
- Corpectomy process of removing the entire vertebral body and its disc
Step by step process of Spondylosis Treatment:
- Under general anaesthetic conditions, the surgeon will make a tiny incision in the treatment area.
- If the patient is suffering from cervical spondylosis problems, then the surgeon removes the bone spurs and realign the vertebrae.
- Small bone grafts are placed in the space between vertebrae to join in supporting the bone functionality
- In the place of bone grafts, the surgeon may also use metal screws and rods to avoid the fusion and stabilize the spine.
- This eliminates the nerve decompression caused by the bone spurs or herniated disks.
Achieve better spinal functionality with spondylosis treatment provided by the best spine surgeon Hyderabad, i.e. Dr Surya Prakash Rao!!
What to expect for your Spondylosis Treatment?
- Improves the spine functionality
- Diminishes the numbness and pain in the arms and legs and improve gait
- Able to do your day to day activities
Pre-operative care of Spondylosis Treatment:
The pre-operative care of spondylosis treatment includes
- Complete previous medical history and diagnosis
- Avoid using blood thinner medicines to prevent massive blood loss during the surgery.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Follow surgeon instruction for diet and drinking in the day before and day of the surgery
- Ask complete details about the surgery, and care should be taken after the surgery.
Post-operative care of Spondylosis Treatment:
- Day after the surgery or on the same day under the guidance of a physical therapist or surgeon the patient may sit on the edge of the bed and stand without support.
- The patient wears a cervical brace or lumbar brace if advised.
- Patients are often encouraged to stand and sit for every two hours after the surgery to avoid the stiffness and further complications.
- The physiotherapist may suggest some basic movement exercise like walking, standing, to avoid the soreness in your legs.
- Depending on the intestinal functionality, the surgeon will order your diet.
- Strictly follow the Antibiotics prescribed by the surgeon.
- Pay special attention for your sitting postures and sleeping postures
- Avoid lifting of heavyweights
Post-operative follow up:
During the regular follow up after the surgery the surgeon will discuss
- Neurological recovery
- Spinal cord movement
- Proper assessment of results
- Surgery complications
- Recovery time
- Exercise to avoid the surgery stiffness sessions required
- Number of physiotherapy sessions required
- Diet to follow
Spondylosis Treatment Cost in Hyderabad:
During the regular follow up after the surgery the surgeon will discuss
The cost of the spondylosis treatment in Hyderabad may vary from person to person. There are different factors which affect the cost of the surgery. These may include the patient’s present medical condition, the type of surgery used, Hospital stay duration etc. If you want to know more details about the surgery and its cost contact Dr Surya Prakash now.
What is the role of the spine surgeon for Spondylosis Treatment?
Dr Surya Prakash Rao is a renowned spine surgeon in Hyderabad offers all types of spine surgeries for the people who are facing different kinds of spinal problems. He helps in several stages of spondylosis treatment.
- Discuss the complete details about the surgery
- Helps in providing a complete diagnosis to determine the severity of the spine problem
- Provides the most suitable surgery method with minimal discomfort and better results
- Fewer regular follow-ups to obtain the best possible results
- Provides personalized medical care after the surgery
Spondylosis Treatment technology:
Spondylosis Treatment patient resources:
FAQs about Spondylosis Treatment in Hyderabad:
1. What are the symptoms for Spondylosis?
- Grinding or popping feeling while moving the spine
- Back ache and Neck pains
- Headaches, mostly on the backside of the head
- Poor coordination of the spine
- Frequent muscle spasms
- Soreness and stiffness in the neck area
- If neurological compromise happens then symptoms of weakness , gait instability, claudication may be present
2. What precaution do I need to take from my side to avoid pain of Cervical Spondylosis?
To avoid neck strain which leads to cervical Spondylosis is suggested to take small gaps in between the physical stress and perform some muscle strengthening exercises to prevent spasms.
3. What are important do's and don'ts when one is suffering from Cervical Spondylosis?
- Avoid strainful journey
- Use a soft collar while travelling
- Follow ergonomics while during work
- Use a firm mattress and thin pillow
- Regular exercises are necessary
- Avoid sitting for prolonged periods
- Avoid strenuous activities
- Don’t lift too many weights which strains your head and back
- Don’t lie down flat on stomach