Spinal Tumour Treatment in Hyderabad
A spinal bone tumour is an abnormal growth of tissue of bone in the spine. Spinal tumours result in severe pain, along with neurological defects. They can suppress the nerves too. Spinal tumours may arise in the cervical, thoracic, or lumbosacral regions.
The spinal tumours weaken the bone and may lead to chronic back pain and affect the spinal cord’s underlying nerves. Due to this nerve compression, the patient’s leg pain and numbness in the legs. These tumours can be benign or malignant. These spinal tumours may be primary tumours whose cells of origin is the spinal tissue or secondary tumours which spread via the bloodstream from other parts.
The spine tumour surgery mainly removes the tumour that causes continuous back or neck pain, balance problems, leg pain, leg numbness, bladder dysfunction, bowel discomfort. If the tumour is diagnosed early and treated successfully, it is possible to prevent further complications in the spine. Spine surgery helps in restoring spine functionality, which was affected by the tumours.
Sometimes tumors arise from the substance of the spinal cord. These are similar to the tumors which appear from the brain nerve tissue and these are handled by the brain surgeons.
Different Types of Spinal tumours:
Osteoid osteoma: It is a non-cancerous bone tumors that usually develops in the long bones such as thigh bone and shin bone. This type of tumours do not spread throughout the body but causes severe pain and discomfort
Osteoblastoma: It is a rare primary neoplasm of bone and non cancerous tumour closely related to osteoid osteoma. This generally develops in the bones of spine, legs, hands and feet.
Giant cell tumour: It is a non-cancerous and aggressive tumour usually develops near the joint or at metaphysis of long bones. These are mostly observed in young adults of age 20-40.
Chordoma: It is a rare type of cancerous tumour that generally occurs anywhere in the spine from the base to the tailbone. This tumour grows slowly extends into the bone and to the surrounding soft tissue.
Reasons for Spinal tumour treatment:
The tumour in the spine may lead to severe discomforts that need immediate medical care or surgery. These spine discomforts may include
- Back pain
- Loss of sensation
- Muscle weakness
- Walking difficulties
- Loss of bladder functionality
- Bowel dysfunctionality
- Paralysis caused by nerve compression
The objective of Spine tumour surgery:
The main goals of the spine tumour surgery are to
- Remove the spinal tumour
- Stabilize the spine functionality
- Reduces pain
Benefits of Spinal Tumour Treatment:
- Reduces the recurrence rate of the spine tumours
- Helps in removing the tumour size completely
- Diminishes the pain caused by spinal tumours
- Strives to attain the spine functionality
- Eliminates the viral infections of the spine
- Strengthen the muscles
- Partial paralysis problems can be avoided by removing the tumours that compress the nerves
- Helps to restore the neurological functionality of the spine
Diagnosis of Spinal Tumours:
Comprehensive diagnostic care is provided by Dr Surya Praksash Rao to diagnose the spinal tumour. Depending on the severity of the tumour, the spine surgeon will use different surgical procedures for removing the tumours. The tests to diagnose the severity and complexity of the tumours are:-
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- CT guided biopsy
- Nuclear medicine bone scan
- PET scan
What does Spinal Tumour Surgery do?
The optimal treatment for a spinal tumour depends on the type and its location. Most of the spinal tumours are removed using the surgery. This surgery helps in removing the tumours that suppress the underlying nerves of the spine. This spine tumours removal surgery aims to preserve the spine’s neurological functionality and also eliminates the pain caused by it.
Different Type of Treatments for the Removal of Spinal Tumours:
Depending on the type of spinal issues such as osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, chordoma, or Ewing’s sarcoma and its location, there are different types of treatment procedures. These surgical methods for the removal of the spinal tumour may include:
Surgery: Spinal tumour surgery removes tumours. Based on the nature and the staging of the tumor appropriate treatment techniques are used.
Minimally invasive techniques are used when appropriate and in late stages only debulking is possible to reduce the tumor load on the patient.
Radiation Therapy: This is a non-surgical procedure that delivers high radiation beams to treat spinal tumours. This treatment does not remove the tumours immediately like surgery, and it slowly disappears with time. These are given by the radiotherapist.
Chemotherapy: This is the process of removing cancer cells in the spinal area permanently by using anti-cancer drugs. These treatment are given by the Medical oncologist.
Pre-operative care of Spinal Tumour Treatment:
- After having the face to face consultation, the Spine specialist prescribes for a complete diagnostic workup to determine the size and severity of the tumour.
- The staging of tumor
- Preoperative tissue diagnosis by a CT guided biopsy.
- Anterior chemotherapy or radiotherapy after getting the biopsy report.
- Once surgical goals are identified preoperative surgical profiling and work up for surgery
Post-operative care of Spinal Tumour Surgery:
- Routine post operative care
- Physiotherapy as advised
- Mobilization as tolerated
- Follow up chemotherapy or Radiotherapy in malignant tumors once the suture removal has taken place
Regular follow up
Post-operative follow up:
Regular follow-up after the surgery is important. After the successful spinal tumour treatment, the doctor may prescribe for a regular check-up to know the status of your spine. These follow-ups may help to raise any post-operative symptoms or to ask any queries about your progression.
- During the follow-up, the surgeon will check for the spine nerves’ health and its functionality.
- Carefully monitor for the symptoms and recurrence of the tumor.
Make your appointment now with the best spine surgeon in Hyderabad, Dr Surya Prakash Rao, to get rid of spinal tumours. Contact us @ +91 9848024699
Spinal Tumour Treatment Cost in Hyderabad:
The spinal tumour surgery cost may vary depending on the several factors which includes
- Size of the tumour
- The severity of nerve compression
- Location of the tumour
- Type of surgery used for tumour removal
- The complexity of the surgery
Feel free to contact Dr Surya Prakash Rao to know more about the spinal tumour surgery and its cost.
What is the recovery time?
Recovery time depends on:-
- Type of tumour
- The severity of the tumour
- Size of the tumour
- Type of the surgery
- The complexity of the surgery.
To recover from the surgery, it may take a couple of weeks. To attain the normal functionality of the spine, it may take 6-8 weeks.
What is the role of the spine surgeon for Spinal Tumour Treatment?
The spine surgeon will help in several stages of spinal tumours treatment.
- Helps you in through diagnosis of spinal tumours
- Helps in determining the most suitable surgery to remove the tumours
- Discuss complete details about the procedure and care should take after the surgery
- Performing appropriate surgery for the spine tumor causing minimal risk and helping to reduce the complications
- Will be available for a regular check-up to know the recovery of the surgery and status of the spine function.
- Provides personalized care after surgery
FAQs about Spinal Tumour Treatment in Hyderabad:
1. Will my bowel dysfunction caused by spinal tumour reduce after having spinal tumour treatment?
Yes, the spinal tumour treatment will help to reduce the symptoms caused by the tumours such as pain, nerve compression.
2. What are the symptoms of spinal tumours?
- Back, neck, arm/leg pain
- Walking difficulties
- Partial or complete paralysis
- Spinal deformities
- Muscle weakness and loss of sensations
3. How tumors from elsewhere spread to spine ?
Metastatic spinal tumours spread to the spine from other body parts. If the tumours can spread, then it is known as malignant. 30-70% of cancer patients will have the chance of developing metastatic tumours in their spinal cord.
4. What is the recurrence rate of the spinal tumours?
There is a high chance of recurrence of spinal tumours. Dr Surya Praksh Rao provides effective spinal tumour treatment, which decreases the recurrence rate. But proper medical care and a healthy lifestyle are also important to reduce the chance of recurrence.
5. How can I contact Dr Surya Prakash Rao for spinal tumours removal?
Any type of tumours can be removed with minimal discomfort with the best spinal tumour treatment in Hyderabad provided by Dr Surya Prakash Rao. Book your appointment now