Scoliosis Treatment in Hyderabad
Dr. Surya Prakash is the Best Scoliosis Surgeon with a high success rate in performing the most complex Scoliosis cases. He is an experienced spine surgeon with a dedicated practice in performing surgeries related to scoliosis. He provides the most effective, safest and advanced techniques to straighten the curve and to prevent any further progression of scoliosis.
Dr. Surya Prakash is the Best Spine Surgeon with dedicated individual care to help the patients to get rid of spine problems. He works with patients with a scientific approach to treat their case in the best manner. He follows a caring, gentle and professional approach followed by ongoing care and with expert medical consultations.
Book Your Appointment to have a pain free back and a good posture in the future.
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis, a curvature of the spine is a disorder that causes an abnormal curve of the spine, or backbone. The spine has standard curves when looking from the side, but it should appear straight from the front. It can be generally caused by conditions such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy. However, the exact cause of most scoliosis is not yet evidenced.
Classification of Scoliosis:
- Infantile scoliosis: From birth to 3 years old
- Juvenile scoliosis: From 3 to 9 years old
- Adolescent scoliosis: From 10 to 18 years old
What Causes Scoliosis?
The exact cause of scoliosis is unknown. However, the common reasons that most doctors identify, include:
- Muscular dystrophy: A condition in which a group of genetic disorders results in muscle weakness
- Being girls might be another cause of scoliosis
- Congenital disabilities affecting an infant’s spinal bones, such as spina bifida
- Spinal injuries or infections
- Cerebral palsy: A common condition in which group of nervous system disorders affects movement, learning, hearing, seeing, and thinking
- Family history of scoliosis
DR.SuryaPrakash conducts a series of tests to confirm the existence of scoliosis. The main tests include:
- Spine x-rays (from the front and the side)
- Scoliometer measurements (a device used to measure the degree of the curve)
- MRI (if either of these reports something unusual)
At the initial consultation, your spine specialist will conduct a detailed clinical assessment to assess all your symptoms and then discuss the most appropriate treatment. If you are already diagnosed with scoliosis, then you are advised to bring a recent X-ray of your spine during your initial consultation.
DR.SuryaPrakash uses scoliometer with a small non-invasive device placed over the spine for measuring the angle of trunk rotation in a forward bending position. He uses scoliometer to monitor patients while reducing the need for x-rays.
Preparing for Surgery
After the surgery is scheduled, you will receive a call for a pre-surgery appointment. In this:
- Your surgeon will discuss all the surgery details and address all your queries if any
- X-rays to have an updated current picture of your condition.
- Next, anesthesiologist evaluates your condition and discusses pain management both during and after the surgery
- Few blood tests to analyze the cell count
- Lastly, you will be instructed not to eat or drink anything post-midnight on a night before the surgery.
On the Day of Surgery
Once you reach the hospital on scheduled time, the surgery begins. During the surgery, your surgeon makes an incision in the mid of the back to expose the moving muscles along with the removal of vertebral joints. The vertebra roughening will be done to trigger new bone production which leads to the fusion of vertebrae and fills the gap eventually. Metal implants like rods, hooks, screws or wire are used to hold the spine and with vertebrae fusion. Lastly, depending on the individual requirement bone grafting can also be done.
Scoliosis Recovery Process
The process of recovery will be posting six weeks of the surgery. X-rays are done to assess the healing stage and permitted activities achieved so far in daily routine.
Why DR.Surya Prakash for Scoliosis Treatment in Hyderabad?
- He is the well-known scoliosis surgeon in both AP and Telangana states
- He treated more than 8000 successful scoliosis surgeries
- Best Spine surgeon awarded with the international fellowship of the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS)
- Excellent quality healthcare with strict adherence to safety standards
- Highly qualified surgeon known for his high competence levels
- Latest techniques followed by scientific and individualized treatment plans
- Highest possible standards of spine healthcare to the patients
- Most advanced medical facilities
- Most effective, safest and advanced techniques
Scoliosis Surgery – FAQs
Will the surgery affect height?
Yes, as spine comes in straighter form following the surgery making a person look nearly form a quarter to an inch taller than previous height.
Which medicine can help with scoliosis?
No medication as of now can help with the progression of scoliosis. But the medicines exist to help you relieve the associated pain to a certain extent.
What are the factors that determine treatment for idiopathic scoliosis in children and adolescents?
The following are the factors that determine treatment for idiopathic scoliosis in children and adolescents:
- Patient age
- Bone age
- Degree of curvature
- Location of the curve in the spine
- Status of menses/puberty
- Patient gender
- Curve worsening
- Back pain or shortness of breath
What are the treatment options for scoliosis?
The treatment options for scoliosis include:
- Observation of scoliosis
- Nonoperative treatment
- Surgical treatment
Will I have pain after surgery?
Yes, you will have some pain following the surgery which can be managed with a variety of medications.