Posterior Cervical Fusion Surgery in Hyderabad
Spinal abnormalities can occur in the discs which act as cushion between the bone of your spine. As age grows on, they may get degenerated and displaced, which leads to nerve decompression. The nerve compression in the cervical spine area is caused by ligamentum flavum hypertrophy along with multilevel compression on the spinal cord.
Posterior cervical fusion is surgical procedure in which cervical vertebrae are fused together pacing a bone graft which fuses overtime. Posterior cervical fusion is commonly used for treating cervical spondylotic myelopathy or tumors or traumatic affections or deformities of the neck.This is also used to treat instability of the cervical spine. If only two segments need to be treated the procedure is done form the front . This is called anterior cervical decompression and fusion (ACDF) . For multilevel problems in the neck posterior cervical procedures are used. To attain the stability and the fusion rate, the surgeon may use metal screws and rods.
Are you experiencing chronic pain in your neck or shoulder area?
Contact Dr Surya Praksh to get the best posterior cervical fusion surgery in Hyderabad!!
The object of Posterior cervical fusion surgery:
The main purpose of the posterior cervical fusion is to relieve symptoms to relieve pressure on the spinal cord and underlying nerves of the neck area. This posterior cervical fusion surgery involves posterior elements which are compressing the spinal cord and creating more space in the cervical spinal cord for better movement. The surgery also aims at restoring the normal lordotic curvature of the cervical spine.
Diagnosis of Posterior cervical fusion:
The diagnosis and testing of posterior cervical fusion may include several tests such as
- Physical exam
- CT scan
- EMG and Nerve conduction tests when required.
Discomfort in the cervical spine area?
Get rid of your discomforts with effective spine treatment provided by the best spine surgeon in Hyderabad. Contact Dr Surya Prakash now!!
Preparation for Posterior cervical fusion surgery:
- Have a one to one conversation with the spine surgeon and explain your spinal problems and symptoms
- Intimate your surgeon if you are suffering from a condition such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases or other blood disorders
- Avoid using blood thinners at least a week before the surgery
- Avoid smoking
Process of Posterior cervical fusion:
- Under the general anaesthetic condition, the spine surgeon will make an incision in the posterior part ( back of the neck ) of your neck near the vertebrae area skin.
- Then the surgeon will gently divide the fascia and muscle to get access over spinal bones.
- Depending on the spinal problems, the surgeon may perform either one of the following:-
- Laminectomy – Removal of the lamina portion of the bone
- Foraminotomy – Removal of excess bone growth from bone spurs which cause nerve compression.
- After removing the damaged bone, then a graft will be inserted between the posterior elements
- Spine will be stabilized by using the titanium metal rods and screws.
- As time passes the bones above and below will fuse and grow as a solid bone.
What to expect for your Posterior cervical fusion surgery?
- Improvement in gait and sensory symptoms
- Prevention of further deterioration of the symptoms and spinal cord function
- Reduce the neck pain
- Reduction of the deformation and restoration of normal csf dynamics as the csf cuff around the spinal cord is reduced
Poor posture of the cervical spine?
Achieve the best possible cervical spine posture and functionality with the posterior cervical fusion surgery. Contact Dr Surya Praksh now!!
Posterior cervical fusion surgery cost in Hyderabad:
The cost of posterior cervical fusion may vary depending on the different factors such as the severity of the cervical spine problems, number discs injured or damaged, surgeon experience, hospital stay duration, location of the hospital etc. If you still want to know more details about the surgery contact Dr Surya Prakash Rao now.
What is the recovery time after Posterior cervical fusion surgery?
Generally, it may take 3-6 months to attain normal functionality of the cervical spine. The recovery of posterior cervical fusion surgery may vary depending on how quickly the bone graft fusion with other bones which is inserted during the surgery.
It always depends upon how seriously the patient is affected in the preoperative situation.
More severely patients are affected neurologically before surgery ,Longer the time taken for him for recovery.
What are the recovery results after Posterior cervical fusion?
- Easy return to normal activities within a short duration
- Improvement in the gait
- Improvement in the sensory symptoms
- Prevention of future deterioration of the cervical cord damage .
Are you looking for the best spine specialist in Hyderabad for herniated discs in the cervical spine area?
Contact Dr Surya Prakash Rao to get the best posterior cervical fusion surgery.
What is the role of the spine surgeon in Posterior cervical fusion surgery?
As a leading spine surgeon in Hyderabad Dr Surya Prakash Rao is renowned for his minimally invasive techniques for any type of spinal problems. He also provides international standard and excellent quality medical care for people with spinal issues. While performing the Posterior cervical the surgeon helps you in
- Understanding he facts about treatment and its procedure
- Performs complete diagnosis to find the severity of the problems and to suggest the suitable treatment
- Execution of the surgical procedure .
- Help in the recovery period with regular follow-ups
FAQs about Posterior cervical fusion surgery:
1. How long will I have to stop my activities after posterior cervical fusion?
The recovery after posterior cervical fusion surgery may vary from person to person. It may take nearly 6-8 weeks to get back to your normal activities without any discomfort.
2. What type of bone grafts will be used for Posterior cervical fusion surgery?
There are two different types of bone graft (Patient owns spine bone) used, which includes autografts and allografts (donor spine bone).
3. Is the posterior cervical fusion reduces the muscle spasms and pain in my shoulders?
When the disc degenerates, it collapses, which leads to the pain discomfort in the neck and shoulder area. The posterior cervical fusion surgery eliminates the pain decompressing the nerves.
4. How much does it take to perform this posterior cervical fusion surgery?
Spinal is the most complicated surgery. The entire process of posterior cervical fusion surgery may take 2 -3 hours. The time duration of the surgery also the severity of the spine problems and complexity of the surgery.
5. How can I contact Dr Surya Prakash Rao for the best posterior cervical fusion surgery in Hyderabad?
Get rid of your spine problems now with the effective spine treatment provided by Dr Surya Praksh Rao, the best spine surgeon in Hyderabad. Make your appointment now for your posterior cervical fusion surgery in Hyderabad.