Micro Lumbar Decompression In Hyderabad
Lumbar decompression surgery is a type of surgery that helps in treating the compressed nerves caused by the injury or mispositioned or overgrowth disc or bone in the lower spine area. This uneven bony growth narrows the space in the spinal cord and nerves. This pressure may cause pain, numbness, weakness to arms, or legs.
During this Lumbar decompression surgery, the extra bone or disc that narrows the space in the spine will be removed. This surgery helps in eliminating the symptoms like compression or pressure on the spinal cord, collapsed disks, thickened joints, bony growths, etc.
- Spinal stenosis: It is a condition that narrows the spinal cord’s space, which causes pressure on the underlying nerves.
- Herniated disc: The condition of a slipped disc is mostly caused by traumatic injuries.
- Spinal cord compression: This is the most complicated condition where cancer from one part of the body spreads to the spinal cord and damages the spinal discs and nerves.
This micro lumbar decompression surgery is mostly used in treating the problems like
Reasons for Spinal Pain:
Different conditions commonly occur with severe back pain. These reasons may include
- Ligament or muscle strain
- Osteoporotic fractures
- Herniated disks
- Bulging or ruptured disks
- Sudden awkward moment lead to tearing in ligaments
- Muscle spasms
Benefits of Micro lumbar decompression:
- Decompression of nerves
- A better solution for sciatica
- Relives the compression of spinal nerves
- Diminishes the muscle damage
- Also helpful in life-threatening situations like severe scoliosis
Who can benefit from micro lumbar decompression?
Micro lumbar decompression surgery is needed for the people who are suffering from
- Pain or weakness in legs secondary to lumbar canal stenosis
- Back pain that radiates to your legs caused by ruptured or herniated discs
- Difficulty in walking, also called caludication
Diagnosis before micro lumbar decompression
Before going for micro lumbar decompression, you have to diagnose thoroughly to know the severity of the spinal problem by using the tests like
- X-rays to analyse the the presence of lumbar instability
- MRI to identify the herniated disks, Ligamentum hypertrophy or tumours in the spinal cord area
- CT scan forany bony abnormalities
Depending on the diagnostic results, Dr Surya Parakash Rao provides the most suitable treatment approaches for spinal cord problems. His pre and post-operational care help in speedy recovery.
Micro lumbar decompression procedure:
The micro lumbar decompression surgery aims to retain the flexibility and strength of your spine by reducing the pressure on the spinal cord and nerves
Depending on the severity of the spinal problem, mainly there are three different types of procedures which may be added to microlumbar decompression.
Spinal fusion: It is a surgical technique that joins two or more vertebrae to stabilize any prevents the movement between the fused vertebrae.This is done if there is any instability .
Laminectomy or Laminotomy : It is a surgical procedure that removes the portion of the vertebral, also known as the lamina. This removal of one or more vertebrae gives better access to the spinal cord and underlying nerves.
The surgeon will make an incision in the affected area down to the lamina to get access over the compressed nerve After decompression and making the nerves free and mobile, the surgeon closes the incision using the dissolvable stitches.
Discectomy: It is the surgical removal of the part of the intervertebral disc, which some times causes pressure on the spinal nerve roots.
The surgeon will make a small incision in the affected area. And gently retract the nerves to expose the bulging or extruded disc. After that, the surgeon will remove the herniated disc to decrease the pressure on the nerves. After the removal of the disc, the surgeon will close the incision with stitches or staples.
Postoperative care of Micro lumbar Decompression:
- You will be made to walk as soon as you recover from the influence of anesthesia. You will be encouraged to climb stairs, Walk normally and climb stairs.
- Within a day or two you will be discharged.
- Avoid bending too much after having successful spinal surgery at least for 2 weeks.
- Don’t lift heavy weights for 2-3 weeks after the surgery
- Avoid driving for 3 weeks after the surgery
- Avoid doing the strenuous activity too
- Quit smoking, drinking for a couple of months
- Regulate your follow-ups and strictly follow the medications
What happens during the post-operative follow-up?
- After successful spinal surgery, the surgeon may prefer to see you in a week to determine the rate of healing and also to check further complications.
- If the surgery incision were closed with dissolvable stitches, then the stitches will be removed in the follow-up.
- During the follow-up, the surgeon observes the activity of the spine and its stability.
Meet Dr Surya Prakash Rao, the best spine surgeon in Hyderabad, to diminish the risks of spinal deformities, which causes immense pressure on nerves.
As leading spine surgeon Dr Surya Prakash Rao, he is well trained and experienced in providing the minimally invasive treatments for any type of spinal problem. With the thousands of successful spine surgeries in his 25+ years professional career, he became the topmost spine deformity specialist amongst his peers.
Micro lumbar surgery cost in Hyderabad:
The cost of micro lumbar decompression surgery may vary depending on the severity of the spine problem. Several factors affect the cost of the surgery, including the patient’s age, the severity of injury or disease, type of surgery used, etc.
Recovery from Micro lumbar decompression
- Avoid driving
- Avoid longer time sittings
- Avoiding strenuous activities
- Reduce your workload
- Make your appointment with the physical therapist to achieve better stability of the spine
Get the spine surgery treatment in Hyderabad at an affordable price. Contact Dr Surya Prakash now!!
Spine Surgery Patient Resources
FAQs about Micro Lumbar Decompression in Hyderabad:
1. How long does it take to perform this micro lumbar decompression?
Generally, it may take an hour to perform the surgery. The surgery length may
vary depending on the severity of spinal injury or disease.
2. How do I prepare for micro lumbar decompression?
When you are in face to face consultation with your spine surgeon, then the surgeon may determine the severity of the spine problem and discuss the appropriate surgery to reduce your pain.
- A complete diagnosis will be performed
- Avoid using blood thinning agents
- Avoid using anti-inflammatory medicines
- Stop taking tobacco and alcohol
3. What is the recovery time after the micro lumbar decompression?
Generally, it may take around 5-6 weeks to recover completely after micro lumbar decompression, which helps in eliminating nerve pressure in the spinal cord area.
4. What are the results after the successful micro lumbar decompression?
- Significant improvement in claudication and walking distance
- Improves the physical functioning of the spine
- Reduces the back and leg pain
- Reduces the muscle spasms
- Decrease the pressure of underlying nerve of the spine and paves way for recovery.
5. What is the success rate of micro lumbar decompression?
According to a research study, almost 85%-90% of patients will benefit from micro lumbar decompression along with satisfying results.