Kyphosis Correction Treatment in Hyderabad
Kyphosis is a spinal disorder in which the forward curvature of the spinal cord. This kyphosis results in weakening the spine bones, which leads to pain and stiffness in the back. This kyphosis is commonly observed in adult people who are between 20 to 40. This condition is also called “hunchback” or “round back”. Patients with kyphosis need surgery to remove the excessive spinal curve.
Kyphosis correction treatment is mainly preferable for the congenital kyphosis and severe posture correction problems. The most opted surgery for kyphosis is spinal fusion. This involves the shaping of vertebrae together to make it into a single element of the bone. And other surgical procedures include inserting rods, screws, plates into the spine to stabilize the spine and enhance the fusion of bone grafting. This reduces the curvature of the spine and corrects its posture.
There are several surgical treatments for kyphosis treatment. The type of surgery may vary from person to person.
Reasons for Kyphosis :
Kyphosis mostly occurs when the vertebrae in the upper back become wedge-shaped. There are several reasons for kyphosis. It rarely affects newborns. These reasons may include
- Certain endocrine disorders
- Connective tissue disorders
- Infections like tuberculosis
- Scheuermann’s disease
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Post traumatic kyphosis
- Post irradiation kyphosis
Why kyphosis needs to be treated ?
- Reduce deformity
- Reduce pain
- Diminishes the further complications caused by deformed curvature
- Improves the overall alignment
- Decreases the pressure placed on the spinal canal and surrounding nerves and paves way for recovery
- Stops progression of neurological symptoms
Who can benefit from Kyphosis Correction Treatment?
Kyphosis correction treatment helps in treating the people who are suffering from symptomatic kyphotic deformity
Kyphosis Correction Treatment:
Kyphosis correction treatment is one of the spinal deformity correction surgeries done by the experienced spine surgeon. The main aim of this surgery is to correct the deformity and hence improve the symptomatology and spine functionality.
The mild postural kyphosis deformity treatment rarely includes physical therapy to provide extra support to your back and abdominal muscles. This will reduce the pressure on the spine and improve its posture. Exercises form a main role in the management of postural kyphosis
Treatment options depend on the cause and severity of the kyphosis. Mild postural kyphosis can be treatable with the help of pain relievers and anti-inflammatories. In problems like Scheuermann’s disease and its further complications can be treated with the help of bracings and exercises. But in case of severe kyphosis problems, it needs spinal fusion surgery after correction of the spinal deformity
Surgical Treatment for Kyphosis:
Treatment for kyphosis depends on the many reasons, including the patient’s age, previous medical complications, type of kyphosis, and severity of the curve. Both non-surgical and surgical treatments are available.
- Non-surgical treatment for kyphosis: For the patients who have less than 75 degrees of poor spinal postural problems, then the spin surgeon will prescribe for non-surgical treatment procedures.
- Exercising to strengthen muscles and improves the posture
- Physical therapy
- Using back brace
- Pain medications and anti-inflammatories
- Surgery for kyphosis: There are different types of surgical fusions which include
- Spinal fusion after correction of deformity: It is a type of surgery that helps in fusing the two or more vertebrae with the help of screws and rods to eliminate the motion between them. This surgery helps in holding the positions of spinal bone and also eliminates the movement of vertebrae permanently.
- Osteotomy: In this surgical process, the bone is cut to eliminate the angular deformities. And the ends of the bone are realigned and allowed to heal.
- Kyphoplasty: It is a vertebral augmentation surgery to treat fractures in the vertebra. This surgery is also known as “balloon vertebroplasty”. During this surgery, the surgeon will make a small incision in the spinal area. By using a narrow tube, the surgeon will create a path through the back into fractured vertebrae.
The surgeon will insert a special balloon into the vertebrae through the tube under the guidance of x-ray images. After the balloon inflates, it elevates the fractures of the vertebra. This balloon helps in returning the fractured pieces to a normal position and closely packed the soft inner bone to create the vertebrae cavity. The balloon is removed, and now the surgeon will insert a material called PMMA (Polymethyl methacrylate) to stabilize the bone quickly.
Post operative care of Kyphosis correction treatment:
- Follow medicine prescribed by regularly
- Don’t soak your incision too much while bathing
- Wear a brace if the surgeon prescribes it
- Try to do activities as prescribed
- Avoid driving for long hours
- Follow your consultation regularly
Recovery from Kyphosis
- Avoid strenuous activities bending, pushing, stretching, etc
- Avoid heavyweight lifting
- Avoid driving until it heals completely
- Avoid sitting at one place for longer durations
- Depending on the comfort levels you can climb stairs
Dr Surya Praksh is an eminent spine surgeon in Hyderabad, offering the effective spinal surgeon treatments for the people suffering from different spinal problems and deformities. He has immense expertise in performing all types of surgeries with minimal discomfort and better results. With his advanced minimally invasive treatments for spinal deformities, he is the most preferable spine surgeon in Hyderabad.
FAQs about Kyphosis Correction Treatment in Hyderabad:
1. How long does it take to perform Kyphosis Correction Surgery?
The kyphosis surgery is the most complicated surgery. It may take 4-5 hours for traditional procedures. These will be done under neuromonitoring to protect the spinal cord during the correction. Duration may vary depending on the severity of the spinal problems
2. How long does it take to heal Kyphosis Correction Treatment?
To recover completely after having successful kyphosis correction surgery, it may take nearly 5-6 weeks.
3. What is the success rate of Kyphoplasty?
The kyphoplasty provides instant relief of symptoms if the procedure is done for proper indications
4. Why choose Dr Surya Prakash Rao for Kyphosis Correction Treatment?
- 20+ years of experience as a spine surgeon
- Well known spine surgeon in Hyderabad
- Experience in performing complicated spinal surgeries
- 20000+ successful spine surgeries
- Well trained medical assistant team
- Follows international standards while performing the spinal surgery
- World-class facilities
- Fewer consultation
- All the symptoms caused by spinal problems can be eliminated
- Better quality of life
- Cutting edge treatment technologies
- Better follow up care after the surgery
5. Does the kyphosis problem become worse with age?
Yes, with age the spinal disks will dry out and shrink. These conditions may lead to Scheuermann’s disease.
6. What are the causes of kyphosis?
- Infection like tuberculosis
- Congenital condition
- Scheuermann’s kyphosis
- Connective tissue disorders
7. How can I make my appointment with Dr Surya Prakash Rao for Kyphosis Correction Treatment?
Clear all your spine deformities with the best kyphosis treatment in Hyderabad provided by Dr Surya Prakash Rao