Cervical Myelopathy Treatment in Hyderabad
Cervical myelopathy is referred to as nerve compression of the spinal cord in the cervical spine area (neck). This condition is most commonly observed in adults and older people. Several factors include degeneration of cervical spine, slipped disc, traumatic cervical spine injuries, and tumours that contribute to this.
Cervical myelopathy is secondary to the predominant pressure on the anterior spinal cord resulting of the deformation of the cord. In the MRI scan there is compression and effacement of the normal CSF cuff present around the spinal cord. This cervical myelopathy if becomes chronic causes disability, and deterioration is seen in many patients. The cervical myelopathy varies per the severity of spinal cord compression and its location.
The object of cervical myelopathy treatment:
The main aim of the cervical myelopathy treatment is to relieve the symptoms of cervical spinal cord area and also to remove the bone spurs or herniated discs. This restores the normal CSF cuff which is present around the cord improving its nourishment and protection,.
Diagnosis of cervical myelopathy:
The symptoms of cervical myelopathy vary from one person to another. All the symptoms of cervical myelopathy involve a spectrum of disorders and they can give rise to ranging from complete incapacitation and loss of ability to walk to subtle loss of balance as the patient is walking. Sometimes the symptoms seem very nonspecific and vague.The earlier the diagnosis of cervical myelopathy, the better is the treatment results. Following tests are performed:-
- Physical examination
- MRI scan
- CT scan
- Nerve conduction studies in rare circumstances
What are the benefits of cervical myelopathy treatment?
The treatment of cervical myelopathy helps in relieving the different cervical myelopathy symptoms. To diminish the compression of the spinal cord and prevent further complications. This treatment also helps in avoiding the complications like immobilization of neck and wear and tear of neck bones.
Preparation for cervical myelopathy treatment:
Patients who come with symptoms of cervical myelopathy, the spine surgeon, will conduct a thorough examination and re-confirm the diagnosis. The orthopaedic surgeon specialist check for the severity of pain, numbness in arms and hands, Ability of the patient to carry on the day to activity, Gait, Ability to do work with the upper limbs etc. If the disability is severe, then the spine surgeon may recommend surgery.
Sometimes MRI scan may reveal myelomalacia or signal changes in the spinal cord which state that the problem is long standing in nature. Patients with such changes have to specially monitored as their condition is considered to be in an advanced state. Myelopathy treatment has the best outcomes if done before the appearance of the cord changes.
- Before going for surgical treatment, the surgeon recommends avoiding the blood thinner medications.
- Avoid strenuous shoulder activities.
- Avoid lifting too much weight with arms.
Process of cervical myelopathy treatment:
The treatment for cervical myelopathy has two ways:-
Spine decompression without fusion or Laminoplasty: It is a surgical process in which the surgeon will make incisions in the cervical spine area and inserts bone spacers or metal plates into the lamina to attain the ability of the cervical spine.
Spine decompression with fusion: Spine decompression surgery can be done in the anterior portion or posterior portion of the neck. During this process, the pressure from the spinal cord is removed along with other tissue, which affects the stability of the spine. After the removal of the tissue, all the affected portions of the spine will be fused.
Posterior spinal decompression and fusion is done along with lateral mass or cervical pedicle screw fixation.
If anterior decompression is done, discectomy or corpectomy at one or two levels is done with bone graft and plate fixation. This is almost same as ACDF.
What to expect from your cervical myelopathy treatment?
- Diminishes the numbness in hands and legs and Prevents deterioration
- Provides better stability of the cervical spine
- Improves the Gait
- Improvement in the neurological status
- Recovery from the neck pain
Post-op care of cervical myelopathy treatment:
- Maintain a proper diet and lifestyle to recover easily
- You may experience stiffness or soreness in the cervical spine area
- Day after the surgery under the guidance of spine surgeon the patient may sit on the bed to avoid the stiffness
- The patient may use the cervical spine brace to avoid further pressure
- The surgeon will prescribe for a physiotherapist for better stability of the cervical spine and easy recovery.
- Patient is expected to follow up regularly and do the prescribed exercises.
Get rid of your cervical spine pain now with the best cervical myelopathy treatment in Hyderabad by Dr Surya Prakash Rao!!
Cervical myelopathy treatment cost in Hyderabad:
The cost of cervical myelopathy treatment may vary depending on the factors like
- Presence of comorbid conditions
- Extent of disease
- Cost of implants( imported vs local variants)
- Type of surgery done
- Hospital stay duration
What is the recovery time after cervical myelopathy treatment?
Mostly it may take 6-8 weeks to return to normal activities after cervical myelopathy surgery. It may vary from person to person and depending on the severity of the injury and complexity of the surgery. Spine surgeons may recommend physiotherapy to strengthen your neck muscles and relieve neck pain.
What is the role of the spine surgeon in cervical myelopathy treatment?
Dr Surya Prakash Rao is an eminent spine surgeon in Hyderabad who provides the best spine surgery treatments for the people who are suffering from different spine deformities and diseases. He has specialized experience in performing cervical myelopathy to achieve better cervical spine stability.
- Provides a better understanding of the surgery and results
- Provides a thorough diagnosis for better understanding of the spine problems
- Provides the appropriate treatment methods to achieve the possible results
- Regular monitoring during the recovery period
FAQS ABOUT CERVICAL MYELOPATHY TREATMENT:
1. What are the symptoms of cervical myelopathy?
- Neck pain
- Weakness in the arms and hands
- Numbness in the arms and hands
- Difficulty in handling the small objects
- Severe balancing issues during walking
2. What are the causes of cervical myelopathy?
The common causes of cervical myelopathy include
- Degenerative spinal conditions leading to cervical canal stenosis
- Ossified posterior longitudinal ligament (OPLL)
- Seronegative and positive spondyloarthorpathies
3. How can I sleep after cervical myelopathy surgery?
Sleeping on your back to protect your neck: To avoid post-surgical complications is to sleep on your back with a pillow under your knee. Keep your head, neck, hips aligned as you lie on your back. Try to sleep on either of the sides if you are uncomfortable with lying on your back position.
Placing a pillow under your neck: Avoid using too much low or high or hard pillows after having cervical myelopathy surgery. Don’t shrink your neck below your shoulders while sleeping. Make sure your pillow makes your neck in line with your spine without twistings.
While changing the sleeping position, take the support of one elbow to back to your side position. Try to keep your neck, shoulders, and back as straight as possible in any sleeping position.
The spine surgeon will advise you about best sleeping positions after the surgery to get recovery results and to avoid the surgery complications.
4. Can I exercise after cervical myelopathy surgery?
Yes, you are allowed to exercise once you recover completely from the surgery. During the recovery process, the surgeon may recommend physiotherapy sessions to achieve better flexibility and to return to your daily activities within short durations.
5. How can I contact Dr Surya Prakash Rao for the best Cervical myelopathy treatment in Hyderabad?
Eliminate all your cervical spine problems with the cervical myelopathy treatments provided by Dr Surya Praksh Rao, the best spine surgeon in Hyderabad. Book your appointment now!!