Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery in Hyderabad
Dr Surya Prakash (M.S. DNB (Ortho) (BOM) A.O. ) is a top spine surgeon performing anterior cervical fusion surgery in Hyderabad among the patients suffering from spine disorders. A fellowship-trained spine surgeon contains dedicated work and interest in the management of spine deformity, complicated and complex spinal surgery.
He specializes in minimally invasive techniques used for the management of all traumatic and non- traumatic spine conditions. He is also an international fellow of Scoliosis Research Society and performs around 8-10 major spine reconstructive surgeries a year, both in children and adults.
Looking for solutions for your spine problems? Contact us now
Anterior Cervical Fusion
Cervical radiculopathy is a spine disorder in which your cervical (upper) vertebrae nerves gets compressed. During this condition, you may have extreme pain and numbness in your neck, arms, chest, and shoulders.
Cervical radiculopathy mostly occurs due to a ruptured disc, arthritis, or other degenerative condition or injury to the cervical (upper) vertebrae. It occurs mainly in upper age groups affecting their ability to hold objects with hands.
In instances, when cervical radiculopathy cannot be cured with nonsurgical treatment options such as anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy, then Anterior Cervical Fusion will be your only option left to relieve severe pain.
Anterior Cervical Fusion involves the realignment of nerve roots travelling from the spine to the neck, arms, chest, and shoulders. It creates space and eliminates the range of motion in the damaged portions.
Common Conditions Treated:
Dr Surya Prakash uses anterior cervical fusion surgery to treat the following conditions.
- Spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disc disease
- A bulging or prolapsed intervertebral disc
- Bony spurs (osteophytes)
- Spondylosis (osteoarthritis of the spine)
Candidates for Anterior Cervical Fusion
An individual suffering from degenerative disorders, trauma, instability of the spine, or tumours are the candidates for Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery.
As a part of the assessment, Dr Surya Prakash will discuss the procedure in detail and talks about the techniques employed for the procedure. However, the treatment approach followed will depend on your diagnosis, medical history, and earlier treatments. He may also ask for blood tests, X-rays or other imaging studies, and other special tests for diabetes and cardiac disease.
You will be given general anaesthesia, with the gauges, monitors and equipment attached to your body. These equipment are used to monitor your central nervous system at every stage of the procedure. You will be made to sleep on an operating table with your face up and at a confirmed cervical level.
Dr Surya Prakash will make an incision on your neck at the natural skin foldings and then reaches the intervertebral disc by pulling out all the soft tissues attached to the neck muscles. He will then removes the damaged disk or a portion of it using discectomy and replaces them using bone grafts.
A bony outgrowth will be eliminated from the spinal cord and nerve roots to decompress the spinal cord and nerve roots further. This space is created between the upper and lower vertebral bodies, which is restored using extra bone grafts. Then Dr Surya Prakash fixes the anterior portion of the spine with a cervical plate.
Post Operative Care:
- Consider regular appointments
- Keep your incision dry and clean
- Start physical therapy and regular exercises
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco
- Don’t drive until your surgeon gives a clearance
- Consider a healthy and nutritious diet
- Take all the prescribed medications regularly
- Wear the cervical brace until the wound gets healed completely
Why Choose Dr Surya Prakash for Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery?
- Highly qualified spine surgeon trained from recognized institutes
- Always correct patients back and neck conditions
- Performs complex spinal surgeries using minimally invasive techniques.
- Uses the internationally established method of treating pain and inflammation
- Tailored treatment plan depending on the individual case and health history
- Excellent quality of care and the use of cutting edge technology
- Hygiene standards followed by medical ethics and best follow-up care
Anterior Cervical Fusion FAQs
How Long Does The Surgery Take?
The surgery usually takes 3-7 hours and will have an average length of 2-3 days of hospital stay.
What Are The Benefits of Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery?
The benefits of Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery include:
- Neural compression relief
- Alleviation of severe pain
- Nerves from damage
- Medication reduction
- Protection of the spinal cord
- Prevention of deterioration
- Stabilization of the spine
What Are The Alternatives To Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery?
The alternatives available to Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery include:
- Pain medications
- Nerve sheath injections
- Physical therapies
- Activity modification
- Other surgical approaches
What If I Ignore Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery?
If you do not undergo anterior cervical fusion surgery, then you are at risk of several complications such as:
- Ongoing pain
- Functional impairment
- Problems with walking and balance
What Are The Results of Anterior Cervical Fusion Surgery?
Around 90% of surgeries performed by Dr Surya Prakash has proven beneficial for patients suffering from prolapsed or ruptured disc, spinal canal narrowing, and instability of the cervical spine.